July 26, 2019 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm
This class will immerse you in the wonderful world of Metal work! Learn to using Metal cutting tools and machines, and gain real world practical skills in the art of “subtractive manufacturing” aka Machining, from simple hand tools to a fully automated CNC machine!
By the end of this class, you will:
- Become certified to Use the 3 Axis Milling Machine (TAIG Micro Mill) with a 12” x 5.5” x 6” travel range (XYZ) and a 3.5” x 18” mill table. Using this machine you can easily engrave metal, mill out complex shapes and curves, and make highly precise components for use in robotics, electronic enclosure, custom machine designs, jewelery, art or engraving custom PCBs.
- Use common basic metal working tools like drills, drill presses, hacksaws, bandsaws and tap and die sets, and files correctly and safely.
- Understand metal fasteners, their use and selection
- Understand the basic physical properties of metals themselves, and how to cut and drill them and where and how to buy metal for use in your projects & designs
- Accurately mark and lay out metal parts to desired tolerances
- Use Fusion360 to Model Metal Parts correctly and generate correct CAM workflows for the TAIG mill
- Get 1 hour of “open lab” time on the machine to do your own projects
CNC 1 is divided into 2 classes, as well as an assisted training help hour. We suggest you RSVP before all events. After attending CNC 1 you will be authorized to use the TAIG 3 axis mill independently and you be able to set off on your CNC adventures (we are still here to help if needed of course).
Be sure to attend CNC Machining 2 to learn larger machines and more advanced CNC machining techniques!
HexLab Members receive 30% off all classes. Don’t forget to enter your monthly member discount code on Eventbrite!
For tickets please visit the eventbrite page below:
For a %30 discount on all of our classes become a member of our maker space!
To ensure that spaces aren’t taken up by people who wont be able to make their classes, there are NO REFUNDS offered for any of our official classes (this may or may not include classes organized by 3rd parties which are hosted in our space). If you are not able to make it to a class please contact us and we will credit you for a space in another class.
MEMBERS MUST CHECK THEIR EMAIL FOR THE MONTHY DISCOUNT CODE. If a member buys a class ticket without entering the correct discount code we are not able to retroactively apply the discount. Codes are sent out every month and member discounts are not applied without manually inputting the code. If you are at all unsure about the discount code or discount process please contact us before buying a ticket.